Noodle Soup with Wild Mushrooms
- 350g dried or fresh noodles
- 150g beansprouts
- 150g sliced shitake or any types of wild mushrooms (type to avoid using buttons mushrooms).
- Mustard leaves (chye sim in Chinese; sayor sawi in Malay) or pak choi – separate leaves from stems and cut stems into 3cm lengths
- 1500ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 star anise
- 3cm-crushed ginger
- 4 fresh red chilies – crushed (omit or use less if you don’t want it spicy)
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions and, while their water is boiling, fill a saucepan with the stock, crushed ginger, star anise, crushed fresh chili, stems from mustard leaves/pak choi and soy sauce.
- When the stock comes to the boil, add the vegetables. They should be cooked for about 2/3 minutes and not longer.
- Pour the flavoured stock over the cooked and drained noodles and serve.
Tip from the Chef: Extra salt is not necessary for this recipe. The saltiness from the soy sauce and the stock should be enough.